Life really can be a picnic!

Everyone loves a picnic! This blog is about some of the things I love the most, and the term "picnic" just about covers them all. First of all, a picnic has to include food; simple food that is easy to fix. Next, you need someplace fun or different to visit; a nice, peaceful location. And of course, you always need to take along a good book to read and a well-used quilt to spread everything out on. So, there you have it! Easy recipes, good books, fun quilts along with some interesting, down-to-earth places to visit. You can even take your family or a friend or two if you want.



Sunday, June 10, 2012

Wild Days of Summer

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."--John Wayne

     Thursday evening I took off to Tooele with my friend, Patti and we attended the 1st Annual Wild Horse and Heritage Days.  There was a lot going on there but we mostly went to see the quilts on display at the quilt show.  There are some very talented quilters in Tooele County.  This quilt was made by my friend, Marta, who has taught me so much about quilting.  Her specialty is dimensional quilting.











     My friend, Sam, taught a class called Affairs of the Heart.  This is a quilt made by one of her students.  It's such a colorful, beautiful quilt.














     These are a few of my favorites at the show.










     Our book Club read another good book.  To tell the truth I wasn't really thrilled to read the book because of the title.  I thought I was already pretty good at setting my own boundaries but I learned A LOT.  This is another self-help book that everyone should read.  It's written by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend.



     Summer is a time for outdoor meals and good things cooked on the grill.  One of the best side dishes for grilled foods is Baked Beans.  Here are two great recipes; one was given to me from my sister in law, Ruth, and one is from my cousin, Becca.  I use both recipes.  Sometimes, I even combine some of the ingredients from both.

Baked Beans


1 onion                                                            1 small can tomato sauce

½ lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled                 1 tsp. dry mustard

2 small or 1 large can pork and beans

½ C. brown sugar


            Combine all ingredients and cook in crock pot for 6 hours or 1 hour at 350° in the oven.  Can cook on the stove for 1 hour stirring occasionally.  (I usually double this recipe to fill the crockpot.)




Becca’s Baked Beans


½ lb. browned ground beef                2 Tbsp. white vinegar

1 onion, chopped                                1 tsp. salt

½ cup ketchup                                     1 15 oz. can kidney beans (drained)

1/3 cup brown sugar                            1 15 oz. can white northern beans (drained)

1 Tbsp. mustard                                  1 15 oz. can Bushes vegetarian baked beans



Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and cook for about two hours or until served.


No comments:

Post a Comment