Life really can be a picnic!

Everyone loves a picnic! This blog is about some of the things I love the most, and the term "picnic" just about covers them all. First of all, a picnic has to include food; simple food that is easy to fix. Next, you need someplace fun or different to visit; a nice, peaceful location. And of course, you always need to take along a good book to read and a well-used quilt to spread everything out on. So, there you have it! Easy recipes, good books, fun quilts along with some interesting, down-to-earth places to visit. You can even take your family or a friend or two if you want.



Monday, June 25, 2012

The Heat is On!

"You have brains in your head.  You have feet in your shoes.  You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.  You're on your own, and you know what you know.  And you are the guy who'll decide where to go." --Dr. Seuss

     I went to the 12th annual Wasatch Front Shop Hop on June 13th and 15th.  13 Quilt Shops along the Wasatch Front participated in this event.  I went to the southernmost stores on Wednesday with my friend, Patti and I went to the northern stores on Friday with my sister, my daughter, my mom and 4 of my nieces.  Each store gave away a free quilt block pattern and had games to play and sales and their version of a quilt they made for shop hop on display.  The theme this year was "Those Were the Days".  Each store decorated their shop around a classic tv show.  I loved "Gunsmoke" in Lehi, "I Love Lucy" in Springville, "Brady Bunch" in Logan and "Let's Make a Deal' in Brigham City.  The other stores were fun but these were my favorites.  You also receive a passport at the first store you attend and you get it stamped at each store.  If you hit every store you put your name on it and turn it in to be eligible to win really nice prizes.  Here are some of my favorite quilts from the shop hop.



Stitching Corner's Quilt
Mormon Handicraft's Quilt
My Girlfriend's Quilt Shoppe's Quilt

Broadbent's Quilt
 
Corn Wagon's Quilt


Village Dry Good's Quilt
    

     While we were in Logan we had to go get some Aggie Ice Cream at the Dairy Science Building...it's the best ice cream ever!!!!
     We also went to Maddox's for lunch near Brigham City in Perry.  They have the best light and fluffy rolls and raspberry butter.  Everything there is homemade and very yummy!  It's at the top of my list of favorite places to eat.




     Here's a great recipe that's simple to make and you don't need to turn your oven on in the middle of the hot summer.






Soft Chicken Tacos


1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed             Optional Toppings:

1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained           lettuce, shredded cheese,

1 cup salsa                                                                   sliced radishes, diced

1 T. taco seasoning                                                      tomatoes, sliced green onions

6 flour tortillas, warmed                                             and lowfat sour cream or
                                                                                                                                    yogurt


In a skillet that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook chicken until juices run clear.  Add beans, salsa and taco seasoning; heat through.  Spoon the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla.  Garnish with toppings of your choice.  Makes 6 servings.



My mom loaned this book to me to read.  I thought it was really good.  It moves through four generations of strong women who each worked for a cause they felt was worthy.  Though Waters Roar by Lynn Austin is a historically based inspirational fiction novel.  I believe I will have to read more written by this same author.

No comments:

Post a Comment