"Be sure to put your feet in the right place, then stand firm."~Abraham Lincoln
Part of our trip to Pennsylvania included a visit to Gettysburg. Of all the presidents that this nation has had the one that I probably admire most is Abraham Lincoln. He had a hard job to do and he stuck with it until it was finished and never compromised his values, even at the cost of his own life. The following is a few pictures of Gettysburg.
This is my Civil War inspired quilt. The pattern is called Vicksburg by Red Crinoline Quilts.
For the past 5 days our air conditioning has been out. Unfortunately it has been the hottest days of the year so far. I have definitely not been in the mood to cook or even turn on the oven. Two of my sons found the recipe for Dole Whips and that's what we had for dessert on Sunday. I found the recipe for the Chicken Lettuce Wraps a few weeks back and decided now was the perfect time to try them out. Both recipes come from the Six Sister's Stuff blog. I used canned chicken in the place of tuna. I also skipped the Miracle Whip and sweet relish. I sprinkled on a little soy sauce, some diced celery and a little diced purple onion. Both recipes are perfect for summertime and very refreshing!
- 1 can of tuna, drained
- 1 tablespoon of sweet relish
- 1 tablespoon of Miracle Whip
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon of lemon juice
- ½ Avocado diced
- 16 cherry tomatoes, diced
- Dash of black pepper
- Lettuce or Lettuce leaves
- Combine tuna, relish, Miracle Whip, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice in a bowl, until well combined.
- Place the mixture on a lettuce leaf.
- Top with chopped avocado, tomato, and pepper.
- 1 (16 oz) bag of frozen pineapple chunks (I used Dole)
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 12 ounces pineapple juice
- Puree frozen pineapple in a blender. It works best if it is about halfway thawed. To that, add the ice cream, lime juice, lemon juice, and half (6oz) of the pineapple juice. Blend together until it is well mixed.
- Freeze the mixture for about 2 hours to set up.
- Scoop into glasses or bowls and pour the remaining pineapple juice over each serving.
- We found it made about 3 servings, but you can easily double or cut the recipe in half. Dream of Disneyland and enjoy!
This is one of my favorite books on Abraham Lincoln. I loved all the photos. I feel it shared his life's story accurately.