Life really can be a picnic!

Everyone loves a picnic! This blog is about some of the things I love the most, and the term "picnic" just about covers them all. First of all, a picnic has to include food; simple food that is easy to fix. Next, you need someplace fun or different to visit; a nice, peaceful location. And of course, you always need to take along a good book to read and a well-used quilt to spread everything out on. So, there you have it! Easy recipes, good books, fun quilts along with some interesting, down-to-earth places to visit. You can even take your family or a friend or two if you want.



Thursday, August 25, 2011

School is Back in Session!

Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. --Mark Twain

The kids have been back in school for a few days now which means we are getting back into a routine after a somewhat lazy summer. This leaves the day open for a little quiet time for me and I've had a chance to sit down and read a book.  I just finished reading Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo and his wife Sonja. It is an amazing read that left me doing a lot of thinking. 





I happened to come across a box of Bartlett pears and they were so juicy and delicious.  We couldn't eat them all so I dried a few of them. I just cored and sliced them and soaked them in pineapple juice for a few minutes and put them in the dehydrator.  24 hours later this is what I ended up with.  They taste like candy!



I still had some pears left over so I made this bundt pear cake.  My family doesn't really care for the normal sheet cake but there's something about a bundt cake that makes them want to eat it all.  And that's just what they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment