Life really can be a picnic!

Everyone loves a picnic! This blog is about some of the things I love the most, and the term "picnic" just about covers them all. First of all, a picnic has to include food; simple food that is easy to fix. Next, you need someplace fun or different to visit; a nice, peaceful location. And of course, you always need to take along a good book to read and a well-used quilt to spread everything out on. So, there you have it! Easy recipes, good books, fun quilts along with some interesting, down-to-earth places to visit. You can even take your family or a friend or two if you want.



Sunday, August 5, 2018

New Life

"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor and some style." ~Maya Angelou


     I want to post some pictures of my favorite quilt shop in our travels through the Midwest.  This shop is called The Quilted Cottage and it's in St. Charles, Missouri.  It's an adorable shop both inside and out!

























 
 
 
I had some friends over at the house the other night and I wanted to make something nice for them.  It's zucchini season so I had a ton of it on hand.  Here's what I made with it.
 
 

 
 
Chocolate Zucchini Bread 

1 cup sugar                                                      2 T. cocoa
1 cup brown sugar                                           2 cups flour
3 eggs                                                              1 tsp. soda
1 cup oil                                                          1 tsp. salt
2 cups zucchini, peeled and grated                 2 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. vanilla                                                    3 tsp. cinnamon
                                                                        ½ cup nuts (optional)
                                                                        1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Mix together first 4 ingredients. Add zucchini and vanilla and mix. Add dry ingredients and mix. Add nuts if desired and mix in.  Divide batter between two loaf pans that have been sprayed with cooking spray and bake 1 hour at 325-350°.  Check at 50 minutes. Makes 2 medium loaves.
 
 
Unshattered: Choosing a Beautiful Life after Unspeakable Tragedy by [Decker, Carol, Nash, Stacey]
 
This is a book I needed to read.  I had put my life on hold because of some of my health issues and reading this book gave me new life. If this lady could overcome the trials of being blind and a triple amputee, I could make more of my life and go forward with more faith and enthusiasm.  I'm so glad I read it.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment