Life really can be a picnic!

Everyone loves a picnic! This blog is about some of the things I love the most, and the term "picnic" just about covers them all. First of all, a picnic has to include food; simple food that is easy to fix. Next, you need someplace fun or different to visit; a nice, peaceful location. And of course, you always need to take along a good book to read and a well-used quilt to spread everything out on. So, there you have it! Easy recipes, good books, fun quilts along with some interesting, down-to-earth places to visit. You can even take your family or a friend or two if you want.



Sunday, June 24, 2018

Fresh

"A baby fills a place in your heart that you never knew was empty." ~ Unknown


     My son and daughter-in-law are expecting a baby boy that is due in August!  I am so excited!  We went to a baby shower yesterday.  This is the quilt that Heather found on Pinterest and wanted me to make for the little guy.  I thought it was fun that she also wanted a children's book instead of a card from all the guests.



 
 
 
I adore the taste of fresh peas from the garden.  My mom brought me over a few peas from my brother's garden and I knew I needed to make some Creamed Peas and Potatoes!
 

 
 
Creamed Peas and Potatoes
4-6 cups red potatoes, quartered
1-2 cups freshly shelled peas
4 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
2 cups milk or half and half
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 ½ Tbsp. dried minced onion
Pinch of nutmeg
Cover potatoes with water in medium saucepan. Boil for 10-15 minutes until slightly soft.  Add peas and cook for 3 minutes.
Meanwhile melt butter in saucepan.  Add flour and stir for 2 minutes.  Add milk or half and half and salt, pepper, dried minced onion and nutmeg.  Cook and stir until thickened.  Remove from heat.
Drain peas and potatoes in colander.  Return to pan.  Add creamed sauce and stir until combined.  Check seasonings and adjust to your taste. Serve hot. Serves 4-6.
 
 
The Other Side of the Bridge
 
 
     This was a great book by one of my favorite authors, Camron Wright.  It's a story about the Golden Gate Bridge that's filled with facts about the bridge along with a great fictional tale!


No comments:

Post a Comment