Life really can be a picnic!

Everyone loves a picnic! This blog is about some of the things I love the most, and the term "picnic" just about covers them all. First of all, a picnic has to include food; simple food that is easy to fix. Next, you need someplace fun or different to visit; a nice, peaceful location. And of course, you always need to take along a good book to read and a well-used quilt to spread everything out on. So, there you have it! Easy recipes, good books, fun quilts along with some interesting, down-to-earth places to visit. You can even take your family or a friend or two if you want.



Sunday, October 8, 2017

Accomplishment

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it." ~Amelia Earhart


     Last month we finished up our block of the month at Quilts, Etc.  The theme for the year was "You Go Girl".  We learned about different women who achieved greatness and who also started with nothing and had to overcome a few obstacles along the way.  It has been an inspiring year.  I was able to finish my quilt and this is it.



     Here are some of the finished quilts by some of the other ladies in the class.















     Such creative women! 
     Since fall is here, I have been motivated to start trying a few new recipes again.
Here is one I tried the other day.  I love cabbage with potatoes!  I also love simple recipes with few ingredients.



 

Fried Cabbage and Potatoes with Bacon
10 oz. shredded green cabbage
1 russet potato, peeled and diced into ½ inch pieces
5 strips bacon
5 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper

Cook bacon in a large nonstick pan over medium heat until crispy.  Transfer bacon to a paper towel to drain.  Crumble when cool to ½ inch to 1 inch pieces.
Add potatoes, cabbage, salt and pepper to pan, stirring with the bacon drippings.  Cover with a lid and cook until the potatoes and cabbage are tender, removing the lid to occasionally stir.
Add minced garlic to the pan, stirring with the other ingredients and cooking about 1 minute.  Remove pan from heat and add crumbled bacon.  Serve hot.  Makes 2 servings.
 
 

     This is the book that I was inspired to read after learning about all the famous women in our block of the month class.  I learned so many new things about Amelia Earhart.  With all the adventure she had in her life, I still would not trade places with her.  I think I like my life best.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment