Life really can be a picnic!

Everyone loves a picnic! This blog is about some of the things I love the most, and the term "picnic" just about covers them all. First of all, a picnic has to include food; simple food that is easy to fix. Next, you need someplace fun or different to visit; a nice, peaceful location. And of course, you always need to take along a good book to read and a well-used quilt to spread everything out on. So, there you have it! Easy recipes, good books, fun quilts along with some interesting, down-to-earth places to visit. You can even take your family or a friend or two if you want.



Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy New Year!


"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." ~ Dale Carnegie



     Happy New Year!  Have you made all of your resolutions yet?  Me neither.  I'll work on that later.  Meanwhile here is the quilt that I made for our Quilt Guild block of the month.  We had a snow storm last week just in time for Christmas so I thought it would be fun to shoot a few pictures in the snow.  This pattern is by Amy McClellan from Under the Garden Moon.



 







       I love stuffed mushrooms!  I made them twice in the last week.  There are many recipes out there and some are healthier than others.  You can use breadcrumbs, sausage, shrimp or crabmeat, cream cheese, brown or wild rice, onions and the list goes on and on.  Use whatever you like.  This recipe is one that I adapted from The Pioneer Woman.

 


Stuffed Mushrooms

(adapted from recipe from The Pioneer Woman)

§  24 ounces, Button Mushrooms
§  1/3 pound Hot Pork Sausage
§  1/2 whole Medium Onion, Finely Diced
§  4 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
§  8 ounces, Cream Cheese
§  3/4 cups Parmesan Cheese, Grated
§  Salt And Pepper, to taste
 
 
Wipe off or wash mushrooms in cold water. Pop out stems, reserving both parts.

Chop mushroom stems finely and set aside.

Brown and crumble sausage. Set aside on a plate to cool.

Add onions and garlic to the same skillet; cook for 2 minutes over medium low heat.

Add in chopped mushroom stems, stir to cook for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set mixture aside on a plate to cool.

In a bowl, combine cream cheese and Parmesan cheese.

Add cooled sausage and cooled mushroom stems. Stir mixture together.

Smear mixture into the cavity of each mushroom, creating a sizable mound over the top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.

Allow to cool at least ten minutes before serving; the stuffed mushrooms taste better when not piping hot.
 




     Each January I try to read one self-help book.  This is the one that I decided to read now.  I am a woman so therefore I worry.  I would like to learn how to worry less.  I don't know if I am learning anything about how to worry less but I have enjoyed the stories that Dale Carnegie collected to write this book.




No comments:

Post a Comment