Life really can be a picnic!

Everyone loves a picnic! This blog is about some of the things I love the most, and the term "picnic" just about covers them all. First of all, a picnic has to include food; simple food that is easy to fix. Next, you need someplace fun or different to visit; a nice, peaceful location. And of course, you always need to take along a good book to read and a well-used quilt to spread everything out on. So, there you have it! Easy recipes, good books, fun quilts along with some interesting, down-to-earth places to visit. You can even take your family or a friend or two if you want.



Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Piece of My Heart


“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.” Mother Teresa
 
 
     I found the pattern for this cute table runner in the Jan./ Feb. 2013 issue of McCalls Quilting Magazine.

It's called "Heart of the Home".  The heart blocks remind me of the hearts we made in 3rd grade with red and pink construction paper.
 
 


     These little pillows found a place to rest this month on the bench in my entry way.  The pattern comes from "The Pillow Lady" Muriel Andersen.  It's called #219 Love X 2.  So cute with a little embroidery and a little patchwork.




     This is the first year in many that my kids have not made valentines for the kids in their classes.  My youngest is 12 and no longer in grade school.  To ease my sadness a little we had a friend party for my daughter.  I was delighted when 12 beautiful, giggly girls showed up.  The highlight of the afternoon, to my surprise, was when each girl wrote something nice about each of the other girls on a small piece of paper then rolled it up and gave it to that girl to insert in the opening of a balloon.  The balloon was then blown up and tied off and later sent home with her.  I told the girls they can pop their balloon and read the notes when they are having a bad day.  It should cheer them right up.  They also painted their nails.  The girls helped me make mini cheesecakes and they all enjoyed pizza with lots of fruits and veggies.  They got to choose out of three different kinds of toppings for the cheesecakes; cherry, blueberry or raspberry.  Each girl received a treat bag and some cute, warm gloves.







Mini Cheese Cakes


2-8 oz. pkgs. cream cheese, softened              1 Tbspn. lemon juice

2 eggs                                                              1 tsp. vanilla

¼ cup sugar

            Beat all ingredients until smooth.  Put vanilla wafer in each cupcake liner in muffin tin to form a crust.  Fill half full with cream cheese mixture.  Bake at 350° for 20 to 30 minutes.  Let cool and top with cherry pie filling just before serving.
 
 

  This recipe came from one of my college roommates. It's so easy.   I have used it quite a bit for parties or showers.
 
 
 
     If any one knows anything about love it would probably be Mother Teresa.  I am not Catholic but I do admire this woman and all the work she has done among the poor. Reading this book opened my eyes to see what a truly beautiful person she is.




     I bought this countdown board for Valentine's Day last year at a little store on Main Street and Vine in Tooele called Homebodies.  My kids had fun eating the kisses each day until Valentine's Day.
    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment