Life really can be a picnic!

Everyone loves a picnic! This blog is about some of the things I love the most, and the term "picnic" just about covers them all. First of all, a picnic has to include food; simple food that is easy to fix. Next, you need someplace fun or different to visit; a nice, peaceful location. And of course, you always need to take along a good book to read and a well-used quilt to spread everything out on. So, there you have it! Easy recipes, good books, fun quilts along with some interesting, down-to-earth places to visit. You can even take your family or a friend or two if you want.



Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Home for Christmas

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." -- Isaiah 9:6


     Christmas is sneaking up on us quickly.  As a mother, I get nervous that I am forgetting something or someone.  As carefully as I plan each year, something is always left undone.  I can only hope that it won't be something too pertinent.



     I love to collect nativities.  The smallest one I have was given to me by a scout leader friend and is carved from a golf ball. 

      My wonderful neighbor, Pam, made a nativity ornament for me this year that is so simple and beautiful.  It's made from three clothes pins.  She also crafted a larger nativity for me--so simplistic, yet so beautiful.





     After being in my closet for more than five years, I finally set a goal to finish my nativity quilt.  The pattern is from Art to Heart.  I'm so glad I finished it!


 
 
     I love the short story, The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry.  If you have time, read it to your family this year during the holiday season.  It's such a sweet story.


 
 
 
My family likes this recipe for Italian Pork Chops.  It looks fancy when you use the bow tie pasta.
 
 



Italian Pork Chops


6 pork chops                                                    1 tsp. salt

1 Tbsp. olive oil                                                ½ tsp. dried oregano

1 medium onion, chopped                                 ½ tsp. dried basil

2 garlic cloves, minced                                     ½ tsp. Italian seasoning

1-7 oz. can sliced mushrooms, drained            1/8 tsp. pepper

1-14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes                          ½ green pepper, diced

1-8 oz. can tomato sauce


            In a large nonstick skillet, brown pork chops on both sides in oil; remove from skillet.  Add the onion and the garlic; saute for 5 minutes or until tender.  Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, oregano, basil, pepper and green pepper; mix well.  Return pork chops to skillet; spoon some sauce over pork chops.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is tender.  Serve with bow tie pasta or pasta of choice.  Makes 6 servings.




     I make M&M Cookies at least once during the holidays.  They are very festive and are great neighbor gifts.  I got the recipe from one of my college roommates.
 
 


M&M Cookies


1 cup shortening                                                            2 1/2 cups sifted flour

1/2 cup sugar                                                                 1 tsp. baking soda

1 cup brown sugar                                                          1 tsp. salt

2 eggs                                                                          1 ½ cups plain M&Ms

2 tsp. vanilla


            Cream shortening, sugars, eggs, and vanilla thoroughly.  Sift together flour, soda, and salt.  Add dry ingredients gradually to creamed mixture; mix well.  Stir in ½ C. M&Ms; reserve remaining for top.  Put on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.  (For higher elevations add a little more flour.)
 
 
 
 
                     I wish all of you and your families a very Merry Christmas!!!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment