Life really can be a picnic!

Everyone loves a picnic! This blog is about some of the things I love the most, and the term "picnic" just about covers them all. First of all, a picnic has to include food; simple food that is easy to fix. Next, you need someplace fun or different to visit; a nice, peaceful location. And of course, you always need to take along a good book to read and a well-used quilt to spread everything out on. So, there you have it! Easy recipes, good books, fun quilts along with some interesting, down-to-earth places to visit. You can even take your family or a friend or two if you want.



Sunday, January 22, 2012

2012-Getting a Good Start

"It is far better to be alone than to be in bad company."--George Washington

"The greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not our circumstances."--Martha Washington

"Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder."--George Washington




     I have done something this month that I rarely do, I read a book that was recommended by my husband.  It's not that I don't want to read his selections, it's just that I like to read for entertainment and he prefers to read to actually learn something.  Anyway,  the book he gave me to read is called Being George Washington.  It's written by Glenn Beck and I've learned a lot about the wars Washington fought in and some history of the early patriots and traitors.  George Washington was an amazing man with an incredible amount of integrity and patience.  He so deserves to be called the "father of our country".  We would be much better people if we chose to take on some of his character traits.




Here's a quilt that I made last year for fun.  The snowman faces are made from fleece batting.




This is one of my family's most favorite recipes.  Even my picky eaters love it.  When I make porcupine meatballs I prefer to leave out the sugar.  I also use instant brown rice instead of white rice  to give it a little more fiber.


Porcupine Meatballs

1 lb. ground beef                                             2-3 C. tomato juice
½ C. uncooked rice                                         ½ tsp. cloves
2 T. chopped green pepper                              ½ tsp. cinnamon
1 T. chopped onion                                         1 T. sugar
1 tsp. salt                                                         1 T. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. celery salt

Combine beef, rice, green pepper, onion, salt and celery salt.  Shape into 1 inch balls.  Combine tomato juice, cloves, cinnamon, sugar and Worcestershire sauce in large pan.  Add meatballs.  Simmer for 30-40 minutes turning occasionally.  Yield 8-10 servings



No comments:

Post a Comment